Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Setting Goals


I've been working on setting goals for myself. If you've followed this blog, then you'll remember my "Before I'm 40" list. You know? The one that mentioned I want to be published before I'm 40?
Two weeks ago, I set the goal to knock out Book 2 and have it ready for my editor by the end of April. Well, with everything else that is going on, I was beginning to see that I wasn't working hard enough. So, I upped the ante. I would have the book done for me to edit by the end of this week.
I cranked up my music and went to work. Tonight, I hit the 42,000 word count I've been striving for. 8,000 more and I will have reached my goal (unless the characters want more). I wrote 4,000 words today alone. I want to have this book ready to print off and edit by this weekend. However, there is a slight problem:
This is what my schoolwork is on overload. I had an extra credit assignment due. Luckily, I don't really need the extra credit. I have a take home exam due by Friday, plus a 7 to 8 page research paper due by next week. I feel as if my world is about to spin off its axis.
Then, something special happens that reminds me why I am able to achieve these goals. On Friday, my husband and I will celebrate 20 years since our first date. A pretty remarkable feat. 7 furry children and 20 years later, we're still going strong.
If it hadn't been for my DH and his belief in me, I probably would simply be writing stories for my own enjoyment. Stories that would never be seen by anyone else. Tha gaol agam ort, darlin'! Now and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment