Friday, November 24, 2017

Long Line of Love

The other day I was getting ready for school and I pulled out a necklace that I'd put away a while ago. There's nothing wrong with it. It's an unusual piece and I adore it. I just don't wear gold jewelry. I lean toward silver or, better yet, stainless steel. But as I was preparing to leave the house, this piece spoke to me. And it hasn't left my neck since.

When my grandma died, there was one piece of her jewelry I wanted more than anything. I remember asking for it and no one cared for it. It wasn't something they would wear. What's funny is that no one knew the story behind it. Grandma had only bothered to tell me.

My grandmother's father passed away in 1983 (I think it was). I was right around 11 years old. Grandma and Grandpa were divorced. Grandma, in a sentimental act unlike her, took her mother and father's wedding bands along with her and grandpa's bands to the jeweler. He melted the gold down and formed the pendant below.


I remember going with her to the jeweler to pick it up. She came out of the store, got into the car, and told me the story of the pendant. 

When times I got hard and I struggled financially, I had to sell a lot of my jewelry to have cash simply for groceries and gas. I often thought I would have to sell this piece, but my heart broke just thinking I might have to. Just when things were to the point where I was having to think of selling it, money would come through and I'd make it another month.

It is an odd looking piece and not something people would love to wear. However, it is a reminder to me...that I have come from a long line of love. During the holidays (and sometimes along the way), I need to be reminded of that.


Do you have something that reminds you of who you are or where you come from? Tell me about it, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment