Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Special Guest, Virginia Nelson


When I needed to do promotional blogs for Keeper, my dear friend, Virginia Nelson, raised her hand and allowed me to guest blog one day. It's time to return the favor since she is such a busy lady. She had two books release in one week! Whew! Her schedule wears me right out. Everyone, this is Virginia. Virginia, this is everyone.
Tell everyone a little bit about yourself, Virginia:
I’m a single mom of three awesome teenagers who lives in Northern Ohio and generally spends most of the year buried under an insane amount of snow.  When I’m not writing or plotting world domination, I like to draw, play in the mud and sing off key.  My kiddos support my writing, which is good because they know how to make really good coffee and usually are faster than me at telling people their mommy is a writer.  When they proudly announce she writes smut, it is kind of funny the looks we get.  I get my ideas from life and from everywhere around me which is good since I write a lot.  If the people around me weren’t so inspiring, I might have a much harder time doing my job.
I love that they tell people you write smut! Your kids crack me up.

Blurb-
Hangover, check. Ship, check. Hot babe, check.
Sterling McCabe woke to a lovely lady pirate stealing his ship. What he didn't plan on was the assault she'd make on his heart.
Jamie Ashley stumbled over a priceless necklace. What she didn't plan on was stealing the very sexy Sterling McCabe's ship in a mad dash for American waters.
Constantly battling their attraction, Jamie and Sterling are in for a rough ride. Jamie yearns for the affection of the beguiling Sterling while McCabe is desperate to slake the raw desire for his little pirate.
Boat chases, wild friends and a sea tempest create the perfect storm of sexual tension...
You know this is getting added to my Kindle ASAP, right? *grin*
Now for my Ten Tantalizing Teasers-
Plotter or Pantser? Plantser?  It really depends on the book.  Some of them I plot out, outline form, and know just when everything is going to happen.  Odd Stuff was written entirely in reverse, last chapter first, and I had no idea how the story began when I started writing that last chapter.  Most of my stories start out with a first chapter clear as a movie in my head and just kind of spin out from there.
Which Goddess best defines you?  Ohh…LOVE this question.  Athena and I even named my daughter after her.  She not only was represented by the owl (one of my favorite animals) but she is in charge of wisdom, war and art.  What author doesn’t identify with all of that?
I do have moments of genius:)
Favorite Dessert? Seconds.  LOL, no really, probably tiramisu since it combines my favorite foods—coffee, chocolate and cake.  The three basic food groups, according to me. (Funny lady! Ha Ha Ha Ha!)
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate but only dark or milk chocolate.  White chocolate is just vanilla with delusions of grandeur. 
I love white chocolate. It's actually one of my favorites, but I'm a chocoholic! Delusions of grandeur? *laughing hysterically*
Favorite scent? A spring storm.  Something about the way the electricity writhes on the air, all tense with promise, and you can smell the rain, even before it falls.  Yes, love it.
Great answer! I love that smell, too, though it's not my favorite.
Coffee, tea, soda, or water? Coffee and keep it comin’.  I prefer espresso these days.  High octane only. 
Do you have to set the mood to write? If so, how?  No.  I wanted to write something sexy here about how I slip into a negligee and then burn my man scented stuff in the Scentsy burner and pour a glass of wine…but if I actually did all that before I wrote, firstly—I wasted all my writing time setting up and secondly—my kids would think I am even crazier than they already think I am.
*laughing out loud* You all see what I mean about Virginia? She cracks me up. And most days, she understands the mood I'm having perfectly.
Do you have a favorite character? Why? Other than the one I am writing at the time?  Well, my all time favorite hero so far had to be Chancellor from the Odd series. The guy smelled like a spring storm, for goodness sake.  I mentioned how much I like that, right?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Morning, afternoon, evening, or late night writer?  I used to be a strictly night owl writer.  Still, I sometimes crank out a short story in an evening if the writing bug is biting hard enough.  Mostly, these days, I am a morning writer, getting out my words and then going about my day knowing that if all else fails, I got my writing done.
If you weren’t writing, what would be your occupation? Having sex with handsome pool boys.  No, really, I can’t imagine doing anything else.  One of my friends, the awesome author Heather Long, once said that writers write because when we were little, we didn’t know what we want to be when we grow up and as storytellers, we get to be everything.  That really rang true with me.  But if I wasn’t telling my stories, I think I would go nuts because they would all still BE there, just not on paper which would drive me buggy pretty quickly.
I agree with you there. I love Heather's way of thinking! It's so true.
I want to thank the lovely Virginia for being here. If you would like to see more about her and her books, you can find her on her blogher websiteFacebook , Twitter, plus the other places she frequents on the web.
Be sure to check out The Accidental Pirate at AmazonBookStrand, and Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment