Monday, March 12, 2012

Times, They Are A'Changin'


I hate the time change! As the daughter of a former farmer, I get it. Really, I do. I just despise it. Even as a kid, the Daylight Savings Time was not my friend.
I think it is the "spring ahead" that I really have issues with, especially this year. As a college student, who is surviving on WAY too little sleep anyway, I don't need to lose another hour. Good grief!  No, I don't have one of these types of alarm clocks. I have an annoying digital one that beeps at me. Increasing in the speed of the beeps until it is one long continuous beep.
As a teenager, I learned to put my clock on the other side of the room. This way, I was forced to get up to shut it off. If the clock is beside my bed, I tend to hit snooze...A LOT!!
I know a lot of you are probably reading this and thinking, "I bet she gets wet tongues to get her up as well," (since I have 5 dogs). You would bet wrong. Instead, I get those looks like most of you get from your human children. I imagine my canine kids are saying, "Oh, gods! Are you serious? It's still dark out. And you expect me to go outside and do what? You're off your rocker." Maybe I am.
Times, they are a'changin'- I'm preparing for mid-terms. Funny enough, it's not as bad as it seems. I have a quiz in Pop Culture which shouldn't be too difficult, but then there is the chapter test in algebra. EEK! Most of it, I get. I hated math and loved algebra. Go figure! I've been out of school since June 1990. Somewhere in the last 20+ years, algebra changed.
Now, there are things called "integers" and "polynomials" and "linear equations". Funny enough, I am picking up on this, too. I still long for the days when 2+2=4. My life was so much simpler then.
Times, they are a'changin'- I have a book coming out this week. Not just any book, an e-book.
I have read a lot of e-books. It comes with the job of being a reviewer, but I never had an e-book reader...until now. When my Kindle Fire arrived in my mailbox, I opened it with trepidation. It is beautiful and compact. It does amazing things. Can I write on it? If I wanted to, I could. I prefer a keyboard though. But I did download a few books to read on my Kindle...and I LOVE it! I'm the woman who always has a book in her purse, bag, or hand. I carry one with me everywhere I go. Now? I can carry as many as I want. I think I have 20 or so on my Kindle. It's awesome! Will I continue to buy paperbacks? You betcha, but if I want to try out an author who is only on e-book I have that option now.
Times, they are a'changin'- I am an author. With a published book. I have been a farmer's daughter, a student, a baby-sitter, a day-care worker, a wife, a domestic goddess, a caretaker, a kennel assistant at a vet clinic, a great-aunt to an amazing little boy, and now, a college student. I've always written things, from poems to stories. I have an entire town who lives in my head. Yes, I hear their voices constantly. It makes life hard at times...especially when my Botany professor is going over the finer points of photosynthesis and respiration. Yet, I have characters from the town of Cedar River who are screaming at me to "WRITE, GODSDAMMIT, WRITE!" (The characters are coming to a very...ahem...interesting scene and they are both a little impatient.) I had the same problem with Ana from Keeper of the Golden Dragon's Heart. I wanted her to be a wolf-shifter, but the storyline would freeze and I didn't know where to go next. Then, the little bitch began to yell at me! "I'm a puma-shifter!" There were a few unkind words tossed back in forth between us (imagine my husband's face as I'm arguing with my imaginary "friends") and I finally did it her way. I hesitated about having her fall in love with Bowie, a dragon shifter, but once again, Ana called me a few names, put me in my place, and here we are. I have a finished book. I'm working on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the series as well as a couple of spin-offs. I've learned to just type and let the characters take me where I need to be. It's just easier and I get to keep some dignity.
Times, they are a changin'- And you aren't going to find my complaining about it...at least not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment