Sunday, December 16, 2018

Egads...the Holidays!

Today is one of those rare things when you work retail...a day off. I have been through my older blog posts, written a bit of a dream that has been weighing on my mind, and watched some Netflix. It was as I was going through blog posts that I realized that I haven't written one in quite a bit. And with the holidays rapidly approaching, I probably should write out something.

The holidays have always been a rough time for me (and I'm sure many of you as well) since I became an adult. Things just don't mean the same things as they used to. And working in retail gives you a perspective on humans and their perceptions of the holiday season that you cannot unsee. 

Everyone is so worried about spending X amount of dollars or getting the newest and latest gadgets, toys, or games. So few people give gifts from the heart these days. It's not the thought behind the gift anymore, it is all about the price tag. That seriously breaks my heart. After 55 years and 3 productions of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" have we learned nothing?




Jim Carrey's version is by far my favorite, but I'm also a HUGE fan of the Boris Karloff version I watched as a kid. However, I think, for me, the Carrey/Howard production takes the story to a new level, demonstrating the greed that goes along with this time of year. Everyone is trying to outdo each other with Christmas lights, gifts, and family accomplishments. 

Last year I wrote a blog post about the Christmas where my brother drew the cards and I wrote the verse. My mom glued them together and sent them out. Did I realize how poor we were? No! I thought it was a fun collaboration. We got a lot of handmade gifts from Mom and Dad that year. I never gave a thought to the reason we received handmade gifts. There were plenty of presents under the tree and even more love surrounding it. 




A friend of mine posted a question on Facebook the other day. She asked, "What was your favorite Christmas gift that you received when you were a child?" I actually had to think hard on it. Why? Because as I look back, the entire holiday was my gift. Spending time in the kitchen with my mom, my dad hanging out and hand stirring the fudge while singing along with the radio, my brother decorating the cookies as we frosted them. It was the best time of year for me.

I never had the latest styles or the newest technologies, but I don't remember a lot of the gifts I received anyway. Maybe, just maybe, Christmas really doesn't come from a store. It really may be all about the feelings and love that are supposed to come with the season and all year through.



No comments:

Post a Comment